Two weeks I got a problem with my blog site. Somehow I could not post to announce the GA of open source ViJava API for vSphere 5.1 there. After searching and researching, I found out that the wp_commentmeta table was filled with extra amount of data that exceeded the per database limit of 100MB imposed by my service provider. While I was enjoying Thanksgiving holiday, some spammers and their robots worked diligently posting thousands of spam comments on my site.
At the beginning of this year, I changed the theme of my WordPress based blog. Upon checking the site, several folks said it looked familiar and like facebook.com. In fact, when I searched for a new theme, I did use facebook as a keyword because I like the clean and simple look and feel. As you can check at the bottom of the blog, the new theme is called Crybook by Themetation and Crynobone, which you can hardly link the name with facebook except the word “book.”
After switching to Crybook, I really liked it but also found several minor issues with the theme. First of all, the “read more” link is not placed right in the overview of an article. Instead, it’s placed at its bottom. As a result, a reader may be confused where to read next. Secondly, it puts a line at the bottom at an article overview, and two links below the line. At a first impression, the two links seem more related to the next article than to the current one. Thirdly, it does not have the tags explicitly listed with the article as I expected. Tags are important to navigate through articles.
So I decided to customize the theme for my own preference which I hope leads to better reader experience.