Unable to Connect to vCenter Inventory Service

When I was doing a demo today, I got an error saying “An internal error has occurred – Error #1099. Reloading the client is recommended, so as to clear any problems left by this error. Click Yes to reload the vSphere Web Client?” After reloading the Web Client, I got the same error. So something has to be fixed on the server side.

A quick search got me this KB article (2032356). I quickly applied the solution, which is to insert one line as the following at line 79 of /usr/lib/vmware-vpx/inventoryservice/lib/server/config/security-config.xml:

Bothered by SLOW Web UI to manage vSphere? Want to manage ALL your VMware vCenters, AWS, Azure, Openstack, container behind a SINGLE pane of glass? Want to search, analyze, report, visualize VMs, hosts, networks, datastores, events as easily as Google the Web? Find out more about vSearch 3.0: the search engine for all your private and public clouds.

<property name="maxUsagePerPrincipal" value="200" />

Nothing had happen, of course – otherwise, I won’t write about it here.

To apply the change, I stop and start the inventory services.

# service vmware-inventoryservice stop
# service vmware-inventoryservice start

The problem persisted. Then I had to read carefully the log file: /var/log/vmware/vpx/inventoryservice/ds.log, which includes the following lines:

ERROR com.vmware.vim.vcauthorization.impl.provider.InMemoryAuthCache] Caught unexpected exception: org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error...
Error creating bean with name 'httpsPort' defined in class path resource [server/config/server-config.xml]: Unsatified dependency expressed through constructore argument with index 1 of type [int]: Ambiguous constructor argument types - did you specify the correct bean references as constructor arguments?
...

It basically failed the restarting of the service, which is a bigger problem. At least it could start earlier. So it’s clear the previous change caused the problem. Removing the change and restarting the service seems working fine. The vSphere Web Client came back normal.

To my curiosity, I looked back the original error message in the ds.log file, which had been gzipped up as *.log.*.gz file. To view the content, I had to unzip it first:

vCSA://var/log/vmware/vpx/inventoryservice # gzip -d ds.log.2.gz

It’s then clear that it was originally a DB problem. The XHive database may have a bug as following – it could also be related how vCenter uses the database. Anyway, given this error, all needed was to restart the service. It’s not necessary to restart the vCenter service. My guess is that it doesn’t hurt and may be quite helpful for worse problems.

Caused by: com.xhive.error.XhiveException: FEDERATION_ALREADY_OPEN: Federation /storage/db/inventoryservice/data/xdb.bootstrap is already opened
...
This entry was posted in Virtualization and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

Post a Comment

Your email is never published nor shared. Required fields are marked *

*
*

You may use these HTML tags and attributes <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

  • NEED HELP?


    My company has created products like vSearch ("Super vCenter"), vijavaNG APIs, EAM APIs, ICE tool. We also help clients with virtualization and cloud computing on customized development, training. Should you, or someone you know, need these products and services, please feel free to contact me: steve __AT__ doublecloud.org.

    Me: Steve Jin, VMware vExpert who authored the VMware VI and vSphere SDK by Prentice Hall, and created the de factor open source vSphere Java API while working at VMware engineering. Companies like Cisco, EMC, NetApp, HP, Dell, VMware, are among the users of the API and other tools I developed for their products, internal IT orchestration, and test automation.