Home > Software Development, vSphere API > Announcing vijavaNG: Much Lighter and Faster with Commercial License and Support

January 8th, 2014 Leave a comment Go to comments

Since I left VCE four months ago, I have been working intensively on a commercial version of the open source vijava API supporting all versions of vSphere APIs (5.5 is the latest). If you have used the open source API, you know the vijava is much faster than other alternatives. Since its debut, it has been used in many commercial products from companies like Cisco, EMC, HP, etc.

Still, there are rooms to improve. I am happy to introduce the significant improvements in the vijavaNG:

Time to learn how to "Google" and manage your VMware and clouds in a fast and secure

HTML5 App

1. Higher performance and lighter streaming XML engine
The open source vijava uses dom4j as the XML engine and has boosted the performance for several times over the others using Apache AXIS. While most people are happy with the performance, vijavaNG makes it even faster. The secret is the new super performance streaming engine.

More than the performance gain is the memory consumption. Because the streaming API does not need to generate the intermediate DOM objects, we can reduce the memory requirement by half at least, not to mention much less stress on the JVM garbage collector.

This may not be a big deal for small deployment but critical for large deployment where you have tons of hosts and virtual machines.

2. Better Security Support
vijavaNG supports pass through of client certificates to vCenter for log in. This allows server extensions to log into vCenter without password after it’s registered. This feature is only supported in vijavaNG, not the open source version.

3. Javadoc is ready
Although VMware API Reference is great but it cannot be easily integrated in IDEs like Eclipse/Netbeans/Intellij. The vijavaNG now provides full javadoc so that developers can read the comments rigth inside the IDEs while hovering their mouses over an API method. This convenience can save quite some time and frustration during the development.

4. Consistent APIs with open source vijava
As I mentioned before, the open source vijava will continue on its path. If you have application built on top of vijava API, it will also run as it is on the vijavaNG. With the commerical vijavaNG, you will get additional features and commmerical support options.

5. Logging
You can now easily logging SOAP message between the API and the server. With the flexible architecture, you can hook it up with your logging framework like log4j or the Java native logging framework.

6. Higher level APIs
vijavaNG now includes the guest APIs (experimental) that I designed to provide higher level abstraction over the existing vSphere API. It makes it one line call to do something like downloanding a while directory and its subdirectories to local machine. More similar APIs will be included in the future to drive more benefits.

7. New architecture for other APIs
The vijavaNG has a new archiecture that is ready to support other VMware APIs like ESX Agent Manager APIs, etc. If you are interested in EAM APIs, please send me an email.

8. Commerical support
If you have critical applications/systems built on the API, you have the option for commercial support from the author and his company.

9. Better quality
Last, but not the least, is the higher quality backed by many unit test cases I wrote. They covers many aspects of the APIs.

A few friend in the community has tried the vijavaNG from months ago. It’s now your turn. If you are interested in buying or evaluating it, please send me an email (steve __aT__ doublecloud.org, remove the space and _) and I will send you a download link for your evaluation.

1. MarcoC.
    April 16th, 2014 at 05:00 | #1

Great news! Congrats!
    But are months that we don’t get any update on VIJava (opensource) project…
    Could you kindly help us understand the status of open source project and how to contribute (really interested in contributing on it)?

Regards

2. April 16th, 2014 at 09:43 | #2

The open source 5.5 beta is solid as I haven’t seen bug reported. If you have contribution to open source, please email me.

3. Watsh Rajneesh
    April 26th, 2014 at 10:35 | #3

Any plans to mark the 5.5 beta build as GA since no defects have been reported?

With VIJava NG can we expect to get the properties as part of managed objects and avoid making multiple calls to vCenter whenever we call the getter method for the properties of the MOs? Or is the behavior same as open source VIJava still?

Thanks,
    Watsh

4. li
    May 20th, 2014 at 02:23 | #4

I’m interested in vijava NG, can you tell me some more detail messege,
    such as how to get it, price, support infomation.

thanks & best regards.

5. Kevin
    July 15th, 2014 at 21:01 | #5

So will vijava for vSphere 5.5 ever come out of beta? There’s lots of people asking about it and even some form activity on sourceforge that’s wondering if the project is dead (http://sourceforge.net/p/vijava/discussion/826592/thread/460448e6/)?

Does it make sense for the community to fork it?

6. Yuhui Dong
    August 7th, 2014 at 10:43 | #6

Thanks for the great job on “vijava” and congrats to the commercial release also!
    We’ve been using the “vijava” lib for a while and currently thinking some code contribution. Would you please let me know what’s a good e-mail address that I can write to you? Thanks!

7. Steve Cocks
    April 16th, 2015 at 08:58 | #7

Hi Steve

Please supply more details on how to upgrade to paid support etc

Cheers

8. April 16th, 2015 at 10:55 | #8

Thanks Steve, will email you with details soon. -Steve

9. Dante
    April 27th, 2015 at 16:58 | #9

hi Steve
    Just want to report issue in Vijava 5.5
    I Want to access to DataStores by Datastore Object but in ESXI 6.0 (new version)
    it is not working!!!
    Please check it and please ( I begging you) to program a compatible vijava for ESXI 6.0
    Thanks

10. April 27th, 2015 at 18:22 | #10

Dante, please check out the vijavaNG 6.0 which supports vSphere 6.0: http://www.doublecloud.net/product/vijavang.php

11. Dante
    April 28th, 2015 at 00:00 | #11

@Steve
    Tnx for your responding
    but vijavaNG is so expensive and we cant buy its license

12. September 21st, 2015 at 03:38 | #12

Hi Steve, I am trying to create a vdisk with VirtualDiskManager,
    following are the issues.
    whenever i am trying to create a new vDisk, it complains saying. this file does not exist, however it should create a new vdisk,
    2.i can t see where do i specify the size of the disk,
    there are only 2 specs to specify,adapterType and diskType

any help is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance
    Jayahnt

13. September 24th, 2015 at 00:08 | #13

Hi Jayant, I don’t know the parameters on top of my head. Trying the DoubleCloud Proxy and see if it helps you.

14. September 30th, 2015 at 15:07 | #14

I sent you an email and it bounced back. Can you please reach out to me?

Thanks,

Amir

15. September 30th, 2015 at 15:13 | #15

Sure Amir, Sending the email now. -Steve

16. Aravindo Swain
    June 6th, 2016 at 08:08 | #16

Greetings

I have a query on importVApp() API on the following scenario.

Say we have a vCenter with multiple ESXi hosts.
    vCenter connected to “network1” and “network2”
    ESXi hosts connected to “network2”

The user(me) connected to “network1”, So I can access only vCenter, not the ESXi hosts directly.

If I will invoke the importVApp() API on vCenter, internally the vmdk files will be uploaded to ESXi hosts through a URL “https:///nfc//disk-0.vmdk”

Here we are sending upload request to ESXi, which is in a private netwok (network2)

So will is work ?

Thanks in Advance

Regards,
    Aravind

17. June 6th, 2016 at 17:57 | #17

If you work with vCenter directly, it should; otherwise, not.

Stev

18. August 7th, 2017 at 15:58 | #18

Is there a demo version of vijavaNG I can download a test with? We are currently using vijava 5.1 and need to be able to support VSphere 6.0. I have been chartered with implementing a migration solution.

Thanks.

Mike Holst

19. August 7th, 2017 at 16:09 | #19

Sure Mike, will connect with you on the email soon. -Steve

1. No trackbacks yet.