Home > News & Events, vSphere API > VMware vSphere API Training is Ready

VMware vSphere API Training is Ready

September 26th, 2013 Leave a comment Go to comments

During the last 3 weeks, I’ve been working on the courseware and online lab for the VMware vSphere API training. It’s now available for delivering as private classes, either online or onsite. All the contents in the training will be highly customizable per your project needs in terms of content and time. For example, if you are a networking company, we can put more focuses on the networking aspect of the vSphere APIs. As a former VMware employee who authored the VMware vSphere SDK book with Prentice Hall and created of the de facto open source VI Java API, I can also give you practical advice for your projects.

For the public classes, we are still planning it. If you are interested but not enough people (5+) from your company, please leave a comment and preferred time. we will see how we can group multiple groups together for a public class. Should you have a question, please feel free to contact us. (steve _at_ doublecloud.org).

Time to learn how to "Google" and manage your VMware and clouds in a fast and secure

HTML5 App

Course Outline

I know what you care the most is the content. Here is the course outline. For a PDF version, you can get it here.

Day 1

•	Introduction and Course Logistics
•	VMware vSphere API Overview
•	vSphere API Reference
•	Lab 1: Using vSphere API Reference
•	Open source VIJava API Architecture Overview
•	vSphere Managed Object Browser (MOB)
•	Lab 2: Using MOB

•	vSphere Plugin Development
•	Lab 15: Hello World Plugin to vCenter
•	Other Language Bindings
•	vSphere API Best Practices
•	Q&As

Hands-on Labs

We understand it would not be fun for an IT training without hands-on labs. That is the something I’ve building and developing. The training lab is now online accessible from anywhere with Internet access. Here is a screen shot that a trainee would see while using her Linux machine.

As you can see, the Linux machine is in a browser (either firefox, IE, or Chrome). Every trainee will have her own environment with 4 machines.

The technology we have developed can be helpful for other training companies or even companies who want to just show off their products to customers online. Please feel free to contact us if you would like to license it or order the service from the data center by my company. :)

1. Kaustav Bose
    January 17th, 2014 at 12:20 | #1

Hi Steve
    I have a reading your blogs for some time. I am interested in knowing more about this training environment that you have. Is this something you can write about or share?

Thank you.
    Kaustav

2. January 17th, 2014 at 13:02 | #2

Hi Kaustav,

Thx for the interest. What do you want to know about the online training lab?

3. KAUSTAV BOSE
    January 18th, 2014 at 01:56 | #3

I would like to know if the 4 systems are physcial ESX hosts or VMs running on a single host. What is the configuration of your ESX hosts in terms of storage and network.@Steve Jin

4. January 19th, 2014 at 22:20 | #4

The 4 systems per student in my training lab consist of one desktop VM, two virtual ESXi servers, and one vCenter server. The virtual ESXi hosts use minimum memory of 2GB (version 5.1). Storage wise, it’s 10 GB or so. It’s not enough for production, but for my training lab for API classes, it’s good enough.

Together with the system is an automation system so that I can deploy these systems based on the number of students in the training and create URLs to be emailed to each student. All these are done without manual interactions.

Hope this helps. BTW, any particular reason you are interested in these?

5. Kaustav Bose
    January 21st, 2014 at 14:27 | #5

Thanks for the reply Steve. I am planning to setup a dev environment at home to play around with the API and was wondering what kind of hardware I need to get.

6. January 22nd, 2014 at 15:21 | #6

You are welcome Kaustav,

You probably don’t need the same setting as I have for training lab. My recommendation is to install the free VMware Player and install evaluation versions of virtual ESXi servers and vCenter appliance. Good luck!

7. Nitin
    September 10th, 2014 at 21:57 | #7

Would you have training using C#libraries too?

-Koshy

8. September 10th, 2014 at 22:58 | #8

The training uses Java for lab. The concept and object model are independent of Java and applicable for other bindings too.

9. Zhuang Liang
    December 22nd, 2014 at 19:41 | #9

I’m interested in the training. Is it still being offered?

My preferred lanaguage is Python. I see that there is a Python implementation as well from VMware called pyVmomi https://github.com/vmware/pyvmomi. what’s the difference between vijava and pyvmomi?

10. December 27th, 2014 at 14:31 | #10

pyVmomi and viJava are very similar but different implementations in different programming languages: one in Python and the other in Java. The basic concept and object model are the same – we can use pyVmomi for training. Will email you in private.

11. Gopi
    January 28th, 2015 at 14:34 | #11

I am interested in API programming especially for custom scripts in vCO.

12. January 28th, 2015 at 15:16 | #12

Hi Gopi, thanks for your interest. Do you have a group for the training as I only do private training for the moment? If not, it’s hard to justify the cost. Thanks! Steve

13. March 7th, 2015 at 02:11 | #13

I’ve a query concerning the post, where am i able to get in touch with the author?

14. March 10th, 2015 at 09:01 | #14

Saved as a favorite, brilliant website!

15. Gopi
    March 10th, 2015 at 09:51 | #15

Thanks Steve! But i don’t have group to go for. Is there any opportunity i can look for to get a seat in other group?

16. Mala KV
    July 24th, 2015 at 02:11 | #16

Hi,

I am Mala from Bangalore, India, working for Hewlett Packard. I am learning and development program manager for the HP R&D, India.

I am writing this email in context of VMware Vsphere API. we have a need of training in API for our R&D engineers in Banaglore. we are looking for an onsite training. I would like to discuss in detail about this requirement. It would be helpful if I get some contact to whom I could speak, it would be helpful. My coordinates are given below. please do respond.

Regards,
    Mala.
    +91 9986330224
    mala.kv@hp.com

17. July 24th, 2015 at 18:50 | #17

Thanks Mala, I’ve sent you an email. Let’s go from there. Thanks!

18. September 24th, 2015 at 12:56 | #18

Steve, would you be interested in coming to Boulder to give some customized training for SolidFire engineering? We’re very heavy into automation and could probably use your expertise to improve our automated testing.

19. September 24th, 2015 at 14:08 | #19

Thanks John, I will email you to follow up the training arrangement.
    -Stve

20. January 14th, 2016 at 00:49 | #20

Hi John,

I’m curious about the training, but would be interested primarily in rbvmomi, as I’m mostly extending Puppet to manage vSphere.

Is that something you might be able to offer?

Can we discuss the training further, perhaps via email? I’d like to know about costs, etc.

Thanks,

-Zee

21. January 14th, 2016 at 00:50 | #21

Erm, Steve, not John. Sorry! Hah.

22. January 18th, 2016 at 23:58 | #22

Hi Zee,

Thanks for reaching out. We don’t offer rbvmomi training, but vSphere API which is the fundamental of the rbvmomi. Should you be interested in the vSphere API, we can discuss further.

-Steve

23. anjaneyulu
    January 5th, 2017 at 01:40 | #23

Hi Steve Jin,

I am interested to learn VMware vSphere API in java or python online and want to know more about this training. Please contact my email ID.

1. No trackbacks yet.