Home > vSphere API > Announcing VI Java API 5.5 Beta Supporting vSphere 5.5

Announcing VI Java API 5.5 Beta Supporting vSphere 5.5

September 27th, 2013 Leave a comment Go to comments

As it’s asked about when the vijava API 5.5 is ready, the answer is NOW. A couple of minutes ago, I uploaded the beta release to the sourceforge.net site. Please feel free to download the beta release and give me your feedbacks and bug reports as soon as possible. I plan to GA the release in about one month.

The most important changes in this release is the support for vSphere 5.5 which was released on this Monday. We’ve added 6 more managed object types and new methods in existing managed object types. Even more are the new data object types, which are about 150 total. I’ll write a separate article on this subject later on. (Update: just published here)

Lost VMs or Containers? Too Many Consoles? Too Slow GUI? Time to learn how to "Google" and manage your VMware and clouds in a fast and secure HTML5 App.

Another very important change is a major refactoring of the code base around the conversion of XML to Java objects and vice versa. Please note that these changes do not affect any applications. If you have an important product depending on the API, I do encourage you to run a full round of tests. Although I’ve tried best for highest quality, still these is a chance that I missed something. Also, the XML parsing/generation engine is meant to be private (even some of them are declared as public class). In other words, they should be used the other parts of the APIs, not your applications. Should you need help, don’t hesitate to contact me for consulting service.

Before I wrap this article and head for lunch, here is the binary download link. You can still easily get to the download page as before from project home for source package. Hope you enjoy the beta and look forward to hear from you, good or bad. :)

Categories: vSphere API Tags: ,
  1. Nick99
    September 29th, 2013 at 06:55 | #1

Thank you. We’ll try this release very soon.

2. Samir
    November 7th, 2013 at 18:08 | #2

Just wanted to figure out if there are any specific dates when the VIJava 5.5 api’s will be GA’d?

Regards
    Samir

3. November 8th, 2013 at 00:21 | #3

Thanks for checking. I don’t see any bug filed yet, which is probably too good to believe. Have you tried out the API yet?

4. Samir
    November 13th, 2013 at 09:51 | #4

@Steve Jin

We’ve not tested the Beta build yet but are planning to do it very soon. Will let you know if we run into issues.

-Samir

5. Samir
    November 14th, 2013 at 13:44 | #5

Just wanted to update you that we’ve been testing the 5.5 jars with our setup (Primarily 5.1 and 4.1 ESXi servers) and we havent seen any issues yet. We mainly use vijava for read operations and have not done any write operations.

-Samir

6. November 15th, 2013 at 14:32 | #6

Thanks a lot for the update Samir!

7. Madhusudan
    November 25th, 2013 at 05:52 | #7

We also downloaded the 5.5 beta and tried lot of read operations on 5.5 vCenter as welll as some old ones. We did not find any issues till now.
    Please let me know when you plan to GA this.

Regards,
    Madhusudan

8. Amit Jain
    December 2nd, 2013 at 13:46 | #8

When is the 5.5 final release?

9. December 3rd, 2013 at 20:25 | #9

I planned to get a new build with bug fixes but so far there is no bug filed.

10. Sriram S
    December 4th, 2013 at 11:08 | #10

Since there are no new bugs, are you planning announce the GA soon (with the same build number as the Beta)?

Sriram

11. Mike Bravo
    December 6th, 2013 at 12:54 | #11

Steve,

I am eager to try the 5.5 beta. Is there a maven repository available?

Manas

12. December 6th, 2013 at 13:31 | #12

There is no maven repo, but you can try the jar or sync code to your project.

13. Samir Savla
    December 11th, 2013 at 14:22 | #13

I know this has been asked before but I wanted to know if there is a set date on when vijava 5.5 will be GA’d?

Thanks
    Samir

14. Hai Vu
    December 17th, 2013 at 09:56 | #14

If I have a proposal for API extension (with implementation) how do I convey this to you?

15. Mike Bravo
    January 4th, 2014 at 20:22 | #15

Steve,

Any update on when the final release of 5.5 will be available?

Manas

16. deepak
    March 3rd, 2014 at 13:47 | #16

Does ViJava 5.5 support querying and creating new VM storage policies?

17. March 3rd, 2014 at 19:46 | #17

Whatever is supported by vSphere API itself should be supported by vijava. Open a ticket if it is not there.

18. deepak
    March 4th, 2014 at 15:04 | #18

@Steve Jin
    Thanks Steve. I checked the Vi Java src jar and see no VM storage policy related APIs.

19. March 7th, 2014 at 00:24 | #19

What VM storage policy? What do you want to do with it?

20. Ashutosh
    March 13th, 2014 at 13:30 | #20

Any updates on when we can get the ViJava 5.5 GA release? We are trying to decide on whether to wait for 5.5 to go GA or to still use 5.1. Would really appreciate some clarity on this so that we can make our decision.

Thanks & Regards,
    Ashutosh

21. Jesse Glick
    March 31st, 2014 at 14:18 | #21

It is understandable if you are not ready to publish 5.5 as GA yet, but please at least make the betas available on Maven Central. Otherwise it is much more cumbersome to even try the new version.

22. prasanna
    May 30th, 2014 at 04:38 | #22

I try to compile the vijava 5.5 source using jdk 1.5 and got errors. Also i got errors when i try to access the vijava5.5 classes from my jdk1.5 compiled class files.

I have 1000 of java files from my own, i cannot change my jdk, is there any other solution for this problem.

23. May 30th, 2014 at 09:16 | #23

You can do it with a bit of tweaks. Hopefully you can upgrade your java to 6 and above.

24. Chaitanya Reddy
    June 18th, 2014 at 00:46 | #24

Any update on vijava5.5 final reslease?

25. Nataraj
    July 1st, 2014 at 02:35 | #25

Since there is no information available on 5.5 version being GA yet, have following question:
    Does the VI Java 5.5 beta version have any changes for existing Data Store managed object.
    Since we plan to use it for following use cases – create data store, modify the size of data store and delete data store, are these supported operations supported in VI java 5.5 ?
    Currently we are trying out with the API but just wanted to check if someone could help with this information.

Also another question on similar lines, is it OK to use VI Java 5.1 version with vCenter/vSphere 5.5 installation for the 3 use cases that I mentioned

Thanks,
    Nataraj

26. Ron
    October 9th, 2014 at 15:37 | #26

Is there any news on a GA release of VI Java 5.5? Using 5.1 now, and would LOVE to get 5.5 when it is out of beta. Thanks for the work!!!

27. Praneeth
    October 31st, 2014 at 09:14 | #27

Steve,
    Are you planning for a 5.5 GA release and is there a roadmap/future of this project ?
    Its more than year now the beta has released.

28. Nikunj
    January 8th, 2015 at 11:51 | #28

Howdy Steve.

First, I want to say thank you for creating vijava. We at EMC have been using it for quite some time now.
    Any plans for vijava 5.5 GA ? Since its been quite a long time (more than a year) since first vijava 5.5 beta came out.
    I suspect future versions of vijava wont be coming on time either. And perhaps 5.5 is the last release of it. I see lots of people have eagerly asked about the GA date, but you haven’t replied to any of them. I am afraid if vijava is not going to be maintained for longer period, we may have to start looking for other libraries.

Kindly reply.

29. Dhrumin
    January 23rd, 2015 at 17:04 | #29

I am using vijava-5.0.1 and trying to call PropertyCollector::waitForUpdateEx() for a vcenter 5.5, and getting InvalidProperty exception, where as the same call works on a 5.0 version of the vcenter server. I do not want to use the PropertyCollecotr::waitForUpdate() API since it has been deprecated.

Are you aware of this issue and do you know if moving to 5.5 version of vijava will fix this issue or not?

Any help regarding this matter will be helpful.

Thanks
    Dhrumin

30. Steven
    February 2nd, 2015 at 00:58 | #30

I am new to VI java. My question is I only get the jar file. but where is docs( API) and how I get started?

Thanks & Regards,
    Steven

31. February 2nd, 2015 at 01:05 | #31

There is no javadoc in the open source version of vijava, but the commercial vijavaNG does come with javadoc, along with many other improvements. You can check out the vijava.sf.net to get started – there is a getting started tutorial.

32. Reto Merz
    April 8th, 2015 at 08:17 | #32

I think vijava 5.5 has a regression compared to the old version.
    The error handling of WSClient#invoke(String, Argument[], String) has changed.

vijava-51-20121125 has created a RemoteException like this:
    throw new RemoteException(“Exception in WSClient.invoke:”, e);

vijava-55b-2013092 does no longer pass the exception as argument (cause), now its a string concatenation:
    throw new RemoteException(“VI SDK invoke exception:” + e1);

In the old version it was possible to iterate through the exception causes and check, for example “instance of ManagedObjectNotFound”.
    Now its necessary to analyze to exception message.

And btw it would be nice if WSClient is non-final (and keep the invoke/post method non-final public too).
    This gives the possibility to intercept the invoke and could be used to replace the existing transport layer.

33. Steve Cocks
    April 16th, 2015 at 08:48 | #33

Hi Steve

Love your product, its been a life saver for us for the last 3 years.

We have recently updated our servers to 5.5 and have problems with our java installation code. In particular we use the GuestProcessDirector.readEnvironmentVariables to get the path on our guests so we can then make some decisions about what to do next

This is now throwing an exception:

[FTIInstaller] java.lang.ClassCastException: java.util.ArrayList cannot be cast to [Ljava.lang.String;
    [FTIInstaller] at com.vmware.vim25.ws.VimStub.readEnvironmentVariableInGuest(VimStub.java:4041)
    [FTIInstaller] at com.vmware.vim25.mo.GuestProcessManager.readEnvironmentVariableInGuest(GuestProcessManager.java:73)
    [FTIInstaller] at org.doublecloud.vi.vmware.guest.GuestProcessDirector.readEnvironmentVariables(GuestProcessDirector.ja
    va:89)

Any help on this would really be appreciated as its stopping us from deploying new guests

Cheers

34. April 16th, 2015 at 10:57 | #34

Good to know it helps. It seems to be a typing issue. Will take a look at it. Thanks! -Steve

1. September 30th, 2013 at 00:02 | #1