Announcing VI Java API 5.5 Beta Supporting vSphere 5.5

As it’s asked about when the vijava API 5.5 is ready, the answer is NOW. A couple of minutes ago, I uploaded the beta release to the sourceforge.net site. Please feel free to download the beta release and give me your feedbacks and bug reports as soon as possible. I plan to GA the release in about one month.

The most important changes in this release is the support for vSphere 5.5 which was released on this Monday. We’ve added 6 more managed object types and new methods in existing managed object types. Even more are the new data object types, which are about 150 total. I’ll write a separate article on this subject later on. (Update: just published here)

Lost VMs or Containers? Too Many Consoles? Too Slow GUI? Time to learn how to "Google" and manage your VMware and clouds in a fast and secure HTML5 App.

Another very important change is a major refactoring of the code base around the conversion of XML to Java objects and vice versa. Please note that these changes do not affect any applications. If you have an important product depending on the API, I do encourage you to run a full round of tests. Although I’ve tried best for highest quality, still these is a chance that I missed something. Also, the XML parsing/generation engine is meant to be private (even some of them are declared as public class). In other words, they should be used the other parts of the APIs, not your applications. Should you need help, don’t hesitate to contact me for consulting service.

Before I wrap this article and head for lunch, here is the binary download link. You can still easily get to the download page as before from project home for source package. Hope you enjoy the beta and look forward to hear from you, good or bad. :)

This entry was posted in vSphere API and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Nick99
    Posted September 29, 2013 at 6:55 am | Permalink

Thank you. We’ll try this release very soon.

2. Samir
    Posted November 7, 2013 at 6:08 pm | Permalink

Just wanted to figure out if there are any specific dates when the VIJava 5.5 api’s will be GA’d?

Regards
    Samir

3. Posted November 8, 2013 at 12:21 am | Permalink

Thanks for checking. I don’t see any bug filed yet, which is probably too good to believe. Have you tried out the API yet?

4. Samir
    Posted November 13, 2013 at 9:51 am | Permalink

@Steve Jin

We’ve not tested the Beta build yet but are planning to do it very soon. Will let you know if we run into issues.

-Samir

5. Samir
    Posted November 14, 2013 at 1:44 pm | Permalink

Just wanted to update you that we’ve been testing the 5.5 jars with our setup (Primarily 5.1 and 4.1 ESXi servers) and we havent seen any issues yet. We mainly use vijava for read operations and have not done any write operations.

-Samir

6. Posted November 15, 2013 at 2:32 pm | Permalink

Thanks a lot for the update Samir!

7. Madhusudan
    Posted November 25, 2013 at 5:52 am | Permalink

We also downloaded the 5.5 beta and tried lot of read operations on 5.5 vCenter as welll as some old ones. We did not find any issues till now.
    Please let me know when you plan to GA this.

Regards,
    Madhusudan

8. Amit Jain
    Posted December 2, 2013 at 1:46 pm | Permalink

When is the 5.5 final release?

9. Posted December 3, 2013 at 8:25 pm | Permalink

I planned to get a new build with bug fixes but so far there is no bug filed.

10. Sriram S
    Posted December 4, 2013 at 11:08 am | Permalink

Since there are no new bugs, are you planning announce the GA soon (with the same build number as the Beta)?

Sriram

11. Mike Bravo
    Posted December 6, 2013 at 12:54 pm | Permalink

Steve,

I am eager to try the 5.5 beta. Is there a maven repository available?

Manas

12. Posted December 6, 2013 at 1:31 pm | Permalink

There is no maven repo, but you can try the jar or sync code to your project.

13. Samir Savla
    Posted December 11, 2013 at 2:22 pm | Permalink

I know this has been asked before but I wanted to know if there is a set date on when vijava 5.5 will be GA’d?

Thanks
    Samir

14. Hai Vu
    Posted December 17, 2013 at 9:56 am | Permalink

If I have a proposal for API extension (with implementation) how do I convey this to you?

15. Mike Bravo
    Posted January 4, 2014 at 8:22 pm | Permalink

Steve,

Any update on when the final release of 5.5 will be available?

Manas

16. deepak
    Posted March 3, 2014 at 1:47 pm | Permalink

Does ViJava 5.5 support querying and creating new VM storage policies?

17. Posted March 3, 2014 at 7:46 pm | Permalink

Whatever is supported by vSphere API itself should be supported by vijava. Open a ticket if it is not there.

18. deepak
    Posted March 4, 2014 at 3:04 pm | Permalink

@Steve Jin
    Thanks Steve. I checked the Vi Java src jar and see no VM storage policy related APIs.

19. Posted March 7, 2014 at 12:24 am | Permalink

What VM storage policy? What do you want to do with it?

20. Ashutosh
    Posted March 13, 2014 at 1:30 pm | Permalink

Any updates on when we can get the ViJava 5.5 GA release? We are trying to decide on whether to wait for 5.5 to go GA or to still use 5.1. Would really appreciate some clarity on this so that we can make our decision.

Thanks & Regards,
    Ashutosh

21. Jesse Glick
    Posted March 31, 2014 at 2:18 pm | Permalink

It is understandable if you are not ready to publish 5.5 as GA yet, but please at least make the betas available on Maven Central. Otherwise it is much more cumbersome to even try the new version.

22. prasanna
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 4:38 am | Permalink

I try to compile the vijava 5.5 source using jdk 1.5 and got errors. Also i got errors when i try to access the vijava5.5 classes from my jdk1.5 compiled class files.

I have 1000 of java files from my own, i cannot change my jdk, is there any other solution for this problem.

23. Posted May 30, 2014 at 9:16 am | Permalink

You can do it with a bit of tweaks. Hopefully you can upgrade your java to 6 and above.

24. Chaitanya Reddy
    Posted June 18, 2014 at 12:46 am | Permalink

Any update on vijava5.5 final reslease?

25. Nataraj
    Posted July 1, 2014 at 2:35 am | Permalink

Since there is no information available on 5.5 version being GA yet, have following question:
    Does the VI Java 5.5 beta version have any changes for existing Data Store managed object.
    Since we plan to use it for following use cases – create data store, modify the size of data store and delete data store, are these supported operations supported in VI java 5.5 ?
    Currently we are trying out with the API but just wanted to check if someone could help with this information.

Also another question on similar lines, is it OK to use VI Java 5.1 version with vCenter/vSphere 5.5 installation for the 3 use cases that I mentioned

Thanks,
    Nataraj

26. Ron
    Posted October 9, 2014 at 3:37 pm | Permalink

Is there any news on a GA release of VI Java 5.5? Using 5.1 now, and would LOVE to get 5.5 when it is out of beta. Thanks for the work!!!

27. Praneeth
    Posted October 31, 2014 at 9:14 am | Permalink

Steve,
    Are you planning for a 5.5 GA release and is there a roadmap/future of this project ?
    Its more than year now the beta has released.

28. Nikunj
    Posted January 8, 2015 at 11:51 am | Permalink

Howdy Steve.

First, I want to say thank you for creating vijava. We at EMC have been using it for quite some time now.
    Any plans for vijava 5.5 GA ? Since its been quite a long time (more than a year) since first vijava 5.5 beta came out.
    I suspect future versions of vijava wont be coming on time either. And perhaps 5.5 is the last release of it. I see lots of people have eagerly asked about the GA date, but you haven’t replied to any of them. I am afraid if vijava is not going to be maintained for longer period, we may have to start looking for other libraries.

Kindly reply.

29. Dhrumin
    Posted January 23, 2015 at 5:04 pm | Permalink

I am using vijava-5.0.1 and trying to call PropertyCollector::waitForUpdateEx() for a vcenter 5.5, and getting InvalidProperty exception, where as the same call works on a 5.0 version of the vcenter server. I do not want to use the PropertyCollecotr::waitForUpdate() API since it has been deprecated.

Are you aware of this issue and do you know if moving to 5.5 version of vijava will fix this issue or not?

Any help regarding this matter will be helpful.

Thanks
    Dhrumin

30. Steven
    Posted February 2, 2015 at 12:58 am | Permalink

I am new to VI java. My question is I only get the jar file. but where is docs( API) and how I get started?

Thanks & Regards,
    Steven

31. Posted February 2, 2015 at 1:05 am | Permalink

There is no javadoc in the open source version of vijava, but the commercial vijavaNG does come with javadoc, along with many other improvements. You can check out the vijava.sf.net to get started – there is a getting started tutorial.

32. Reto Merz
    Posted April 8, 2015 at 8:17 am | Permalink

I think vijava 5.5 has a regression compared to the old version.
    The error handling of WSClient#invoke(String, Argument[], String) has changed.

vijava-51-20121125 has created a RemoteException like this:
    throw new RemoteException(“Exception in WSClient.invoke:”, e);

vijava-55b-2013092 does no longer pass the exception as argument (cause), now its a string concatenation:
    throw new RemoteException(“VI SDK invoke exception:” + e1);

In the old version it was possible to iterate through the exception causes and check, for example “instance of ManagedObjectNotFound”.
    Now its necessary to analyze to exception message.

And btw it would be nice if WSClient is non-final (and keep the invoke/post method non-final public too).
    This gives the possibility to intercept the invoke and could be used to replace the existing transport layer.

33. Steve Cocks
    Posted April 16, 2015 at 8:48 am | Permalink

Hi Steve

Love your product, its been a life saver for us for the last 3 years.

We have recently updated our servers to 5.5 and have problems with our java installation code. In particular we use the GuestProcessDirector.readEnvironmentVariables to get the path on our guests so we can then make some decisions about what to do next

This is now throwing an exception:

[FTIInstaller] java.lang.ClassCastException: java.util.ArrayList cannot be cast to [Ljava.lang.String;
    [FTIInstaller] at com.vmware.vim25.ws.VimStub.readEnvironmentVariableInGuest(VimStub.java:4041)
    [FTIInstaller] at com.vmware.vim25.mo.GuestProcessManager.readEnvironmentVariableInGuest(GuestProcessManager.java:73)
    [FTIInstaller] at org.doublecloud.vi.vmware.guest.GuestProcessDirector.readEnvironmentVariables(GuestProcessDirector.ja
    va:89)

Any help on this would really be appreciated as its stopping us from deploying new guests

Cheers

34. Posted April 16, 2015 at 10:57 am | Permalink

Good to know it helps. It seems to be a typing issue. Will take a look at it. Thanks! -Steve

One Trackback

• […] After downloading the vSphere 5.5 SDK GA release last week, I started to look into the API reference immediately. Because I am pretty familiar with previous versions of vSphere APIs already, I just jumped directly into the “New and Changed Managed Object Elements in 5.5″ page (there is a link on the home page of API Reference) as I had to work on the open source vijava API 5.5 which was released as beta last Friday. […]