Home > Software Development > Parsing XML in C#: A Quick Working Sample

Parsing XML in C#: A Quick Working Sample

August 9th, 2013 Leave a comment Go to comments

Just started to work on hacking the Web application of vCAC and REST APIs in C#. As expected, the XML processing is an indispensable part for that purpose. I have worked on C# on and off in the past, but never as consistently as on Java. To get myself familiar with the related C# APIs for parsing, I coded the following sample code.

using System;
using System.Collections.Generic;
using System.Xml;
namespace org.doublecloud
    class XmlParsingDemo
        static void Main(string[] args)
            XmlDocument doc = new XmlDocument();
            XmlNodeList nodes = doc.DocumentElement.SelectNodes("/catalog/book");
            List<Book> books = new List<Book>();
            foreach (XmlNode node in nodes)
                Book book = new Book();
                book.author = node.SelectSingleNode("author").InnerText;
                book.title = node.SelectSingleNode("title").InnerText;
                book.id = node.Attributes["id"].Value;
            System.Console.WriteLine("Total books: " + books.Count);
    class Book
        public string id;
        public string title;
        public string author;

Time to learn how to "Google" and manage your VMware and clouds in a fast and secure

The following is a sample XML for running the code. The content has duplications but is still good for trying out the above program.

<?xml version="1.0"?>
  <book id="bk101">
    <author>Steve Jin</author>
    <title>VMware VI and vSphere SDK</title>
      An in-depth introduction on VMware vSphere SDK and open source vijava API.
  <book id="bk102">
    <author>Steve Jin</author>
      An in-depth introduction on something.
Categories: Software Development Tags: , ,
  1. Pierre Lainé
    August 9th, 2013 at 04:21 | #1

Hi steve

sorry to post here but I didn’t now where to contact you in private.

I made a tutorial on the VI Java API on the VMware communities web site and maybe it will help developers to use your API.

You did an amazing job!

2. August 9th, 2013 at 11:57 | #2

Thanks Pierre,

Great job in writing up the tutorial! I will add a link to it from the project home.

3. August 12th, 2013 at 01:59 | #3

Hi Pierre,

Just updated the project Web site with a news on your tutorial. Also added the link to my existing tutorial.

Thanks again for your great work!

4. Pierre
    September 26th, 2013 at 01:25 | #4

Hi sorry for the late reply,
    thanks a lot for adding a link to my tutorial, lot of views since 1 month 😉

5. September 26th, 2013 at 01:52 | #5

You are very welcome Pierre! Please let me know more good stuff from your side. :)

6. pierre
    September 26th, 2013 at 05:24 | #6

Yes, still looking for ideas but since I am working for the AREVA group in the VMware team, security didn’t let me try my programs so not a lot of motivation to continue the project…
    Do you mind if I add you on linkedin? my mail address is pierre.laine2@gmail.com.

7. Lamia
    October 5th, 2013 at 00:33 | #7

i’m having a problem , could you help me ?

8. mushy
    October 10th, 2013 at 05:54 | #8

hey i have to ask if i want to print the name and the author of the book what should i do then ?????

9. CP
    March 3rd, 2014 at 11:19 | #9

Good job, quite good for a quick startup :)

10. April 3rd, 2014 at 00:55 | #10

XmlDataDocument xmldoc = new XmlDataDocument();
    XmlNodeList xmlnode ;
    int i = 0;
    string str = null;
    FileStream fs = new FileStream(“product.xml”, FileMode.Open, FileAccess.Read);
    xmlnode = xmldoc.GetElementsByTagName(“Product”);

Full source : http://csharp.net-informations.com/xml/how-to-read-xml.htm

11. Praveen
    December 9th, 2014 at 01:41 | #11

Hi, Thank you.
    I was planning to apply the same logic to generate the list of the policies available in my XML file. seems to be not working as i have the tag name like “Q12:Policy”. It is not able to read the tag though i declared it as a string seperatly and called in the list.
    Is there any way i can share my code so that some one can help me out?
    Thanks in advance

12. Praveen
    December 9th, 2014 at 02:02 | #12

My code is:
    private void button1_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)

XmlDocument doc = new XmlDocument();

XmlNodeList nodes = doc.DocumentElement.SelectNodes(“/RSOP/ComputerResults/EntensionData/Extension”);
    String Policy;
    Policy = (“q12:Policy”);
    List books = new List();

foreach (XmlNode node in nodes)
    Policy Policy = new Policy();

Policy.Name = node.SelectSingleNode(“q12:Name”).InnerText;
    Policy.Value = node.SelectSingleNode(“q12:Value”).InnerText;
    Policy.catagory = node.Attributes[“q12:Catagory”].InnerText;

And My XML is :

Allow active scripting
    Windows Components/Internet Explorer/Internet Control Panel/SecurityPage/Trusted Sites

And it is having many Policy tags( I just copied only one policy) under .

Any help would be great.

13. Ryan
    February 3rd, 2015 at 18:09 | #13

This is awesome… Except that it doesn’t work, at least not in Visual Studio.

On this line:

List books = new List();

“Book” is highlighted as producing an error. The error is:

The type or namespace ‘Book’ could not be found.

14. KevvvvyP
    August 4th, 2015 at 05:47 | #14

You’re missing a closing book tag in your xml file.

15. August 4th, 2015 at 15:09 | #15

Thanks a lot Kevin! Just updated it.

16. Emrah
    March 28th, 2017 at 07:37 | #16

17. Datta
    July 6th, 2017 at 08:20 | #17

How do i read data if i have list with list in .xml

1. December 23rd, 2013 at 00:01 | #1