After playing with the vCenter appliance simulator feature documented by William, I got into a show stopper that vCenter service (VPXD) could not be started. I don’t think it’s related to the simulator feature at all. My guess is that it’s caused by a sudden power off of the virtual machine but didn’t try to reproduce the problem that way – I care more to fix it than anything else.
A quick Internet search got me the VMware KB article “VMware vCenter Server Appliance 5.0 GA with embedded DB2 database fails.” Knowing mine is 5.1 GA, I still tried to follow the steps there but couldn’t pass the second step due to invalid use name. I was not sure if the username is changed, or DB2 embedded is no longer used in the appliance. Update: from the print out messages in the vCenter appliance 5.1 console I found “vPostgres,” therefore I believe DB2 is no longer used in the appliance.
Bothered by SLOW Web UI to manage vSphere? Want to manage ALL your VMware vCenters, AWS, Azure, Openstack, container behind a SINGLE pane of glass? Want to search, analyze, report, visualize VMs, hosts, networks, datastores, events as easily as Google the Web? Find out more about vSearch 3.0: the search engine for all your private and public clouds.
Somehow I remember there was a tag in the simulator setting related to database setting. So I checked the configuration file again:
There I did find it as shown below tagged as cleardb.
I was thinking if the database was corrupted cleaning the database might be able to fix the issue. Doing that would of course wipe out all the existing data. But I don’t care because the data was populated by the simulator and I don’t have any data I want to preserve as would in a production environment. All I care is to start the vCenter server. This may not be true for you. WARNING: If you want to keep your data, please stop here and contact VMware for help.
With that in mind, I changed the value of the cleardb to be true and restart the vpxd service with a single command line:
service vmware-vpxd restart
It took a bit longer than usual but it finally went through. To verify it, I opened the MOB and it seemed working just fine. Problem solved!
To make sure the simulator won’t waste time to clean DB each startup, I then changed the value of the cleardb tag back to false afterwards.
If the above hack doesn’t work for you, the last resort is to install a new vCenter appliance. That would surely solve your problem even though it may take a bit longer than this hack.
Again, it’s just a quick hack and not for anyone. Should you need to preserve database, try something else.