How to Use the Missing Virtual Network Editor in VMware Player

For most people who use the VMware Player, DHCP is good enough for the NAT network. That means the IP addresses of your virtual machines may change after each powering on.

What if you want to have static IP addresses? It’s pretty easy as long as it’s in the same subnet. For example, if the VMnet8 has IP address of 192.168.47.1, your virtual machines should be configured in the same network say 192.168.47.x, where X can be any value from 3 to 254 (2 reserved for gateway, 255 broadcast by default).

Lost VMs or Containers? Too Many Consoles? Too Slow GUI? Time to learn how to "Google" and manage your VMware and clouds in a fast and secure HTML5 App.

I found the subnet for NAT network is not consistent. One of my VMware Player installation has 192.168.47.1 on VMnet8; the other 192.168.16.1. I think the subnet value is randomly picked by installer as I don’t remember it’s prompted anywhere.

Given that, your virtual machine with static IP address may not run as it’s moved from one VMware Player to another even of the same version. To solve the problem, you can either change your VM network setting to fit into the new VMware Player, or change the subnet setting for VMware Player.

After searching the Internet, I found the Virtual Network Editor can do the job. Unfortunately it’s exposed only in the VMware Workstation, not the VMware Player. It’s understandable because VMware wants you to upgrade from the free VMware Player to the paid VMware Workstation.

With more research, I bumped into a blog article with a few steps to hack out the editor from the installer package. Within its comment, a much simpler solution is offered with a link back to a posting at VMware Community. It basically says it’s hidden but it’s there for you to use. The command to bring up the Virtual Network Editor is as follows:

rundll32.exe vmnetui.dll VMNetUI_ShowStandalone

This command has to be run under the name of administrator, not just a user with administrator privilege. Because my home computer is OEM Windows 7 Home Edition, I don’t have administrator account enabled. Therefore, the “RunAs” command does not work for me.

The easiest way to work around it, as I found from this page , is to right click Command Prompt from Start button and pick the “Run as administrator” from the context menu. The command window then has title “Administrator: C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe.” In this window you can type in the command to the “Virtual Network Editor” as shown in below. From there, you can change all sorts of network settings.

If you use Linux version of VMware Player, you can do something similar according to this page. The related commands are:

cd /usr/lib/vmware/bin
ln -s /usr/lib/vmware/bin/appLoader vmware-netcfg
ln -s /usr/lib/vmware/bin/vmware-netcfg /usr/bin/vmware-netcfg

Note that I haven’t tried these commands by myself. Please feel free to leave a comment if you have tried it.

This entry was posted in Virtualization and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted March 13, 2013 at 12:33 am | Permalink

How to Use the Missing Virtual Network Editor in VMware Player (DoubleCloud) http://t.co/qxghAZlXqZ

2. Posted March 13, 2013 at 12:25 pm | Permalink

You can even make that into a start menu item if you save your command in a simple batch file (remember those?) Then create a windows shortcut to the batch file and select “run as administrator” on the shortcut tab, under advanced button. Move that shortcut into your menu and you’re done. Cheers!

3. Posted March 13, 2013 at 12:45 pm | Permalink

Thanks for the tip Wil, it surely make it easier. :-)

4. Posted March 13, 2013 at 3:31 pm | Permalink

How to Use the Missing Virtual Network Editor in VMware Player – http://t.co/bSzut5Os4B

5. Posted March 14, 2013 at 7:41 am | Permalink

How to Use the Missing Virtual Network Editor in VMware Player – http://t.co/tOfY8t2jSz http://t.co/tOfY8t2jSz

6. Posted March 19, 2013 at 7:30 am | Permalink

Is there any difference between VMnet8 and others such as VMnet1,VMnet2?

7. Posted March 22, 2013 at 10:46 am | Permalink

I don’t think there is any material difference but rather a convention. I think you can change the VMnet1 to NAT with the editor.

8. Posted June 11, 2013 at 10:12 am | Permalink

BIG THANKS,,,,

9. Phil Gardner
    Posted June 29, 2013 at 8:51 am | Permalink

When I try “rundll32.exe vmnetui.dll VMNetUI_ShowStandalone” with VMware Player 5.0.2, in an elevated command prompt in Windows 7 (64-bit), I get the error message “There was a problem starting vmnetui.dll The operating system cannot run %1”. Has anyone else encountered this? Any thoughts on how to solve it?

10. Posted July 1, 2013 at 6:54 pm | Permalink

I tried the command again and it worked fine on my computer. The command should be run in the VMware Player folder, i.e. C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Player\, or include the path in the PATH environment variable.
    Good luck!

11. Rafael Koike
    Posted September 5, 2013 at 1:22 pm | Permalink

The last update to VMware Player 6 the .dll doesn´t exist anymore :-(
    Any ideas how to configure the vmnet now?

12. Posted September 6, 2013 at 10:09 pm | Permalink

Thanks for the update. Sorry to hear that it’s no longer there. I haven’t tried VMware Player 6 yet…

13. Sandeep
    Posted October 14, 2013 at 4:28 pm | Permalink
  14. Thierry
    Posted February 3, 2014 at 1:40 pm | Permalink

I confirme for the linux settings
    I just needed to add the last link to get it.
    Many thanks.

15. Posted February 3, 2014 at 11:43 pm | Permalink

Thanks Thierry! Whoever wants to try it will have higher confidence in the settings. :)

2 Trackbacks