VI Java API Project Upgrade

During the past weekend, I upgraded the vijava API project to the new Allura platform provided by Sourceforge.net. That’s really a button click and then waited for incoming emails for status updates. It went smoothly and didn’t take long before it finished.

Note that the upgrade is limited to the project hosting, not the Web site (http://vijava.sf.net) which remains the same and continues to work as before.

Lost VMs or Containers? Too Many Consoles? Too Slow GUI? Time to learn how to "Google" and manage your VMware and clouds in a fast and secure HTML5 App.

With the upgrade, we’ll get access to “some great new features, including custom tracker fields, integrated wiki, blog and code browsing tools, threaded discussions, and more!” (I will include the email I got from sourceforge that explains the new features in the end.)

The useful parts for the project are the wiki and threaded discussions. I will figure out how to best leverage them. For blogging, I will continue to use doublecloud.org.

The change that may affect you is the subversion repository change. The old URL was: https://vijava.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/vijava and the new URL is: https://svn.code.sf.net/p/vijava/code. The project page has changed the URL to new location. But if you use old URL in your IDE or build system, you want to change it to new URL. The old repository seems still working for a good reason, but you won’t get new code changes there. So make sure you remember to change it.

That’s about it.

If you are interested to know more about the upgrade, here is the email I got from sourceforge:

Here are changes you can expect to see when you upgrade your project:

Will be upgraded

At this time, we are able to update the following aspects of your project:

• Meta-data (name, description, trove categories, etc)
  • Members and permissions
  • Project News
  • Forums
  • Hosted Applications and Project Web
  • Virtual Host configuration and MySQL databases
  • Git, Subversion, Mercurial, Bazaar and CVS repositories
  • Mailing Lists
  • Tracker data
  • Project Donations*

Will not be upgraded

These items will not be moved to your upgraded project:

• Project Help Wanted
  • SCM stats, Forum stats, Ticket stats & Traffic stats
  • Trac will no longer integrate with SVN

Waiting for one of these features?

The links above will take you to our engineering ticket for that feature. On the ticket, click the “+” icon to vote for it, so we know it’s important to your project.

Will work exactly the same

These items will continue to function they way they currently do:

• Project summary page
  • File releases and download stats
  • Project Reviews

Note that the URLs used to access your code repositories will change, and an email will be sent to all project developers with the new URLs after the upgrade is complete.

Once you click Upgrade, the upgrade will be scheduled and will begin shortly. Any changes made to your project while the upgrade is in progress may not be reflected in the upgraded project.

*If you have donations enabled, there will be a Donate link that will allow donations. However, it will be a direct link to the PayPal donation page, and individual donors will no longer be tracked or displayed.

Prior to upgrading, you can obtain a copy of your project’s data as an XML file by clicking on the project name, selecting Project Admin » Features, then selecting XML Export.

This entry was posted in News & Events, vSphere API and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted December 18, 2012 at 12:46 pm | Permalink

VI Java API Project Upgrade (DoubleCloud) http://t.co/o06PyoUP

2. Posted December 18, 2012 at 12:51 pm | Permalink

VI Java API Project Upgrade (DoubleCloud) http://t.co/wInCYqZ9

3. Posted April 19, 2013 at 11:46 am | Permalink

Heya this is kind of of off topic but I was wondering if blogs use
    WYSIWYG editors or if you have to manually code with HTML.
    I’m starting a blog soon but have no coding knowledge so I wanted to get guidance from someone with experience. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

4. conan
    Posted May 22, 2013 at 9:14 pm | Permalink

hello,I am a java developer and not good at english.Here I want to ask you a question about VI Java。
    I was wondering is there a connection pool of ServiceInstance,just like Database connection pool ? Does I have to logout in each method at last if I connectioned the ServiceInstance ?Shoud I can get connection when I login my app and close the connection when I logout my app? Will there be a session problem?
    thanks~

5. Posted May 26, 2013 at 1:54 pm | Permalink

Hi Conan,

Thanks for your interest in vi java API. There is no connection pool implemented. It’s not really needed in most cases. You don’t need to log out after each method.

One Trackback

• By Tofa IT » VI Java API Project Upgrade on December 18, 2012 at 6:26 pm

[…] long before it finished. Note that the upgrade is limited to the project hosting, not the Web […]VI Java API Project Upgrade originally appeared on DoubleCloud by Steve Jin, author of VMware VI and vSphere SDK (Prentice […]