Announcing Public Beta of VI Java API 5.1 Supporting vSphere 5.1

After VMware released the vSphere 5.1 on the night of September 10, I finally got a chance to look at the new vSphere API, including the API reference and more important to me the WSDL files.

I was relieved to find out that there weren’t many changes. No single managed object is added to the vSphere 5.1 API, meaning a lot less work than I thought for vijava API to support the latest vSphere 5.1.

Lost VMs or Containers? Too Many Consoles? Too Slow GUI? Time to learn how to "Google" and manage your VMware and clouds in a fast and secure HTML5 App.

In about ten days, I am now happy to announce that the VI Java API 5.1 beta is ready for the community to try. Just pick up the code here. As before, there are two files: one with .zip extension contains vijava binary and dom4j; the other just source code and samples. Also, I created a standalone API reference. If you are like me who prefer simply things, you will like it.

Although there aren’t many changes, there are challenges – two new XSD types are added to the WSDL: double and base64Binary. I can see the value of the first one, but not much of the second one. Anyway, I’ve updated the Web Service engine to handle the double, but not yet the base64Binary which maps to byte[] when de-serialized from XML in other engine like XMLBean. But it would be troublesome for the other way (serializing to XML) as we have had byte[] already. As smart as computer, it cannot tell whether a byte[] should be really array of bytes or base64Binary.

We’ll probably have to come up with a new Java type for base64Binary. I need to think a bit more how to handle it nicely before it gets GA. The good news is that you probably won’t notice this issue if I didn’t hear it here, meaning it won’t affect you much as its scope is very limited. The data object that uses this type is only used in EntityBackupConfig object that are associated with DistributedVirtualSwitchManager.

Finally, I would like to thank EMC team, Mark Arakelian, Vijay Lathia, Venkateswara Karani, for contributing a test environment so that the code can be validated before being handed it over to the wide community.

BTW, to file a bug please use the link labelled “Bug” at project home. If you want your bugs reported fixed in GA, you want to file them as early as possible.

This entry was posted in vSphere API and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted September 23, 2012 at 3:48 pm | Permalink

Announcing Public Beta of VI Java API 5.1 Supporting vSphere 5.1 (DoubleCloud) http://t.co/B9lUl0fR

2. Posted September 23, 2012 at 4:44 pm | Permalink

Announcing Public Beta of VI Java API 5.1 Supporting vSphere 5.1 (DoubleCloud) http://t.co/1LBbSrbF

3. Posted September 24, 2012 at 2:06 am | Permalink

Announcing Public Beta of VI Java API 5.1 Supporting vSphere 5.1 – http://t.co/sAAbHZmw http://t.co/sAAbHZmw

4. Samir Savla
    Posted October 12, 2012 at 5:09 pm | Permalink

I wanted to just check with you if you have a planned schedule to release the RC for vijava 5.1 and if so what’s the tentative date?

Regards
    Samir

5. Manish
    Posted October 19, 2012 at 7:39 am | Permalink

We get “InvalidProperty” when querying for “runtime.dasHostState”, for Host, with VI-Java 5.0 and vSphere 5.1; though it works well with vSphere 5.0 and it works fine with VI-Java 5.1 beta. What could be the reason? And when are you going to release 5.1 GA; we would like to use it.

Thanks.
    Manish

6. Posted October 22, 2012 at 12:28 am | Permalink

Hi Manish,
    Did you mean it works with vCenter but not ESXi in both 5.0 and 5.1? If so, the property may be available ONLY on vCenter. Please let me know if I read it wrong.
    Thanks!