I came across a video on Youtube over the past weekend: Big Ideas: How Big is Big Data. Although coming with several mentions of EMC, it’s very well prepared and demonstrated with white-boarding, therefore worthwhile to share here.
Bothered by SLOW Web UI to manage vSphere? Want to manage ALL your VMware vCenters, AWS, Azure, Openstack, container behind a SINGLE pane of glass? Want to search, analyze, report, visualize VMs, hosts, networks, datastores, events as easily as Google the Web? Find out more about vSearch 3.0: the search engine for all your private and public clouds.
Some of the key points made from the video include:
- The growth is accelerating. By 2020, there will be 50x more data than today.
- Key drivers of big data include scientific research. CERN for example collects data at speed of 40 TB/S. (I assume not all the time but when important experiments are ongoing.)
- Four important aspects of big data are: economics of scale, affordability, agility, extensibility.
- Big data is not only about size, but also speed and variety of sources.
- Big data is any attribute that challenges constraints of a system capability or business need.
- Not all big data are the same in structure, and can be with iterative, incremental updates.
- Unblocks Big Data’s value and drive more profits and savings by analysis to more precise action
- The question “why shoudl I care about about big data?” should really be “How can I get closer to big data and start taking advantage of it?”