Big Data: How Big is Big?
I came across a video on Youtube over the past weekend: Big Ideas: How Big is Big Data. Although coming with several mentions of EMC, it’s very well prepared and demonstrated with white-boarding, therefore worthwhile to share here.
Time to learn how to "Google" and manage your VMware and clouds in a fast and secureHTML5 App
Some of the key points made from the video include:
- The growth is accelerating. By 2020, there will be 50x more data than today.
- Key drivers of big data include scientific research. CERN for example collects data at speed of 40 TB/S. (I assume not all the time but when important experiments are ongoing.)
- Four important aspects of big data are: economics of scale, affordability, agility, extensibility.
- Big data is not only about size, but also speed and variety of sources.
- Big data is any attribute that challenges constraints of a system capability or business need.
- Not all big data are the same in structure, and can be with iterative, incremental updates.
- Unblocks Big Data’s value and drive more profits and savings by analysis to more precise action
- The question “why shoudl I care about about big data?” should really be “How can I get closer to big data and start taking advantage of it?”