The Future of VI Java API and How You can Help

Upon hearing about my leaving VMware, quite a few members in the community sent me emails or tweets asking about the future of the API. Most of them have built products or automation scripts using the API, therefore would like to see the continuous success of the open source project. I am sure there will be more inquiries coming without this post.

As it stands today, I do plan to maintain the project in the future, mainly upgrading the API to the latest and greatest future vSphere releases. If my time allows, I would also like to enhance the APIs in the following areas: [Note: all these should not be interpreted as a commitment; contact me otherwise.]

1. Continue the high level abstraction as I laid out in the VI Java API Crescendo release. A small part of the abstraction had been included in version 5 (Have you noticed it? BTW). But we still have a long way to go before we can match PowerCLI on the task oriented abstraction. Again, we will not re-implement PowerCLI in VI Java API, but would make it significantly easier to achieve similar tasks. After all, API is NOT command line or scripting; otherwise it’s wrong. I will blog about this more about the differences and how they should be related to each other.
  2. Expand to other VMware APIs. It’s no doubt that vSphere APIs is, and I think continues to be in foreseeable future, the most important APIs from VMware. As VMware continues to innovate, many other important APIs will come up. It would nice if there is a unified API that works across different product lines. It’s more than simple addition of API calls, but an aggregated APIs among which you can navigate from one to another. The one on top of my head is the vCloud API. Please feel free to name others you want the first in your comment.
    Early this year, I made a presentation proposal to talk about interoperability of VMware APIs. Better than a talk, this expansion, if done right, would give you real APIs to work with. As ambitious as it may seem, it’s indeed not an easy project, let alone the amount of work.
  3. Support other open source hypervisors like XEN, KVM. This was actually my vision for the project I had two years ago. I believe a unified API to manage all hypervisors would be very helpful for the customers, and in particular for partners who want to write once and integrate with all.
    As I found out after studying some of the management APIs, the biggest challenge is to come up with a common object model that makes sense for all the hypervisors. Given that each hypervisor has its different object model and even different naming, this effort may result in a least denominator of the existing object models. In my estimation, the least denominator would most likely equate to the vCloud API level abstraction.

To achieve these, I would like to get helps from the community, and companies as well:

1. Development/build/test environment, including hardware/software. It doesn’t need to be big, but good enough for the project. If it’s an environment accessible remotely, that would work too, probably even better.
  2. Advisory board. I would like to invite experts who would agree to give meaningful help on regular basis (quarterly or bi-yearly, TBD) in many different areas, from project direction, user feedbacks, technology, etc.
  3. Contribution, including coding, documenting, evangelism, etc.

Should you be interested in helping the project or referring others, please leave a comment or contact me: sjin2008 at users dot sf dot net.

This entry was posted in vSphere API and tagged . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted October 26, 2011 at 9:22 am | Permalink

It would also be great if VI Java API were officially supported by vmware. It is easier to use, faster and cleaner than the official vSphere API. Are you aware of any plans in this direction?

2. Posted October 26, 2011 at 9:31 am | Permalink

Hi Guido,

I’m glad you like the API. I am not aware of any plan in this direction. But I think it’s a great idea. Please feel free to pitch the idea to VMware.

3. Russell Weisz
    Posted October 26, 2011 at 1:05 pm | Permalink

I have experience developing with ViJava and HyTrust plans to continue using it. I can possibly help with coding or reviewing. Let me know if you need relevant help.

4. Posted October 26, 2011 at 8:17 pm | Permalink

Thanks a lot Russ! Great to have you to help for sure.

5. Watsh Rajneesh
    Posted October 27, 2011 at 11:42 am | Permalink

I would like to enroll my support for it. Please let me know if there is anything that i can do for the releases.

6. Simon Bonello
    Posted November 28, 2011 at 2:24 am | Permalink

I have been developing wit the vi java for the past 9 months and I honestly think that I wouldn’t have managed to finish my projects in time without this api.

I would like to give my support.

7. Posted December 18, 2011 at 1:15 am | Permalink

I am interested in contributing to this project as Developer. I have around two years of development experience with vSphere Java.

Do let me know how best I can help you.

8. Guru
    Posted January 20, 2012 at 11:19 am | Permalink

I have been using VI java API for around 6 months.I am interested in contributing to VI java API development.I can help in coding.

9. Posted January 20, 2012 at 11:43 am | Permalink

Hi Guru,
    Thanks a lot for your interest! We definitely need your help. As you can see in our forum, the community still has quite a few questions regarding API usage. If you have samples to contribute, that would be great.

10. Guru
    Posted January 23, 2012 at 8:42 am | Permalink

Can you let me know if there are any request for particular samples.If so,i can do that.

11. Posted January 30, 2012 at 12:00 pm | Permalink

Hi Guru,

All the new features in vSphere 5 are up for new samples. Thanks!

12. amogh
    Posted January 16, 2013 at 1:29 am | Permalink

help me for retriving uuid of resoucepool from datacenter.. give me the method plz..