My Next Adventure

After leaving VMware and taking a short break at home last week, I am excited to be part of VCE solution engineering team as an architect at its Santa Clara office. For those who are not familiar VCE, it’s a joint venture of EMC, Cisco, VMware and Intel. My formal title is consultant software engineer which, according to my recruiter, is the top engineer rank in the company.

I believe many have read the tweet from my colleague Rob and many re-tweets afterwards regarding my joining VCE. I would like to take this opportunity to confirm this, and thank all my friends who congratulated me on that. More to that, I will explain why I decided on VCE.

Like other good engineers in the Silicon Valley, I got multiple offers (Even this week I still got emails and LinkedIn inquires with opportunities). Not all the offers were equal, but I’d chosen the VCE offer for several reasons.

First, VCE is a unique company with unique vision and great talents. Its bundled and validated hardware platform vBlock resonated very well with customers. I see a great growth potential of the company, and growth opportunities for me.

Second, I consider the turnkey hardware only the first step. Upon receiving vBlock, customers need to configure system, provision software, run and sometimes develop applications. I don’t think the turnkey philosophy should stop at the hardware level, but continue to the software as well. You can in fact find solutions like Vblock FastPath Desktop Virtualization Platform today, and more in the future.

That represents a lot of technical challenges for me, not to mention the rare learning opportunities of full IT stacks from hardware, application, to the cloud. We can find many companies specialized in one or two components in one layer in the stack, but only a few with full IT stacks. The other two I can think of are IBM and recently Oracle with Sun acquisition. Did I miss anyone?

Third, given the challenges mentioned above I can fully leverage my current expertise in software and VMware, further deepen my domain knowledge, and expand influence in the community. It’s therefore a very natural and smooth transition for me.

After joining the company, I have met and talked to many colleagues, attended several meetings, read several design specs. I will continue these in the coming weeks. Along the way, I will blog what I learned (no confidential info of course). Stay tuned…

This entry was posted in News & Events and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Carter Shanklin
    Posted October 20, 2011 at 4:50 am | Permalink

Congrats Steve look me up if you guys are interested in a turnkey distributed database

2. Posted October 20, 2011 at 10:23 am | Permalink

Hi Carter,
    We’re definitely interested in your vFabric! Let’s sync up when you are back from Copenhagen!

3. Posted October 28, 2011 at 8:58 pm | Permalink

Congrats Steve!

4. Alan Renouf
    Posted October 29, 2011 at 2:49 pm | Permalink

Congratulations Steve, can’t wait to see what you come up with for VCE, they are lucky to have you!

5. Posted October 29, 2011 at 10:35 pm | Permalink

Thanks Alan,

I am still learning, in particular Vblock, UIM, etc. We do have a pretty excited vision about software at VCE. I will share some of the initiatives later.

BTW, we use PowerCLI here. Will you have time to give us a tech talk when you are here? Thanks!

6. jayadev
    Posted May 19, 2012 at 5:22 pm | Permalink

I have just entered virtual world!!!
    Just tried powerCLI to clone a vm. To me (even without any Vmware development experience) it looked simple.
    Using PowerCLI is it possible to make REST API calls?
    This is to avoid vSphere Java APIs.
    If not possible, can I get a pointer to a good doc/tutorial for doing the above (REST API CALL) using Java vSphere API.