Moving on

Today is my last day at VMware.

Looking back, it’s been almost four and half years since I joined VMware in June 2007. At that time, VMware was still part of EMC, and two months later it went IPO (to be exact, spin off). Together with many of my colleagues I watched the historical moment for the company on a very early summer morning. I still remember there were quite a few sleeping tents inside the new offices.

Over the years at VMware, I have been working on various projects like helping partners with vSphere Client Plugin, vSphere SDK, SRM Array Adapter, Clustering, porting orginal from EC2 to vSphere and vCloud for VMworld keynotes, developing VMware Workbench, demo, migration manager, HealthAnalyzer, etc., presenting at different conferences like TechExchange, VMworld. I am pretty sure I have missed some in the list.

In my spare time, I created the VI Java API open source project and led the community through several major releases. Today it’s the de facto Java API in the community. It had been the highest voted fling at VMware Labs and is stil the highest votes/views ratio today.

I also wrote the book VMware VI and vSphere SDK which is rated five stars at Amazon. It’s a long and stressful, but rewarding if done, journey to write a book. Besides the public comments, here is one from my colleague:

“I just saw a copy of your book, ‘VMware VI and vSphere SDK.’ Please accept my congratulations on a very well written book. In the years that I have been directly or indirectly associated with the API program, this is the first time that anyone has been able to capture the essence of the SDK so simply and succinctly. Chapter 3 and 4 (Hello VI and Using the Property Collector) were written very clearly and simply. This should be required reading for anyone associated with the API.”

After my book got published, I got more time so I took on blogging to evangelize vSphere API and cloud computing in general. has now ac more than 300 in depth articles on vSphere and cloud computing. It’s ranked as top 50 blog on cloud computing by Cloud Journal, and top 50 must read IT blogs by BizTech Magazine.

Looking forward, I think I will need more challenges and broader perspectives both for my ever lasting technical curiosity and my career development. So I decided to take a short break and explore new opportunities.

It’s indeed a tough decision to leave a great company like VMware where so many extraordinary talents keep innovating every day. All I wish is the contineous success of VMware and my colleagues there.

Next week I will be jobless, and probably have more time to think and blog with my new super fast desktop…

This entry was posted in News & Events and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Mikhail Stepura
    Posted October 7, 2011 at 11:26 pm | Permalink

Good luck, Steve!

2. Posted October 8, 2011 at 12:41 am | Permalink

thanks for all the help and the great content!
    Best of luck!

3. Posted October 8, 2011 at 1:45 am | Permalink

Again, thanks for everything the great chats we had Steve in Palo Alto and thanks for the help/tips. Good luck with your new exciting challenge, but I am confident you don’t need luck and will succeed.

I am sure we will meet again at some point!

4. Posted October 8, 2011 at 3:21 am | Permalink

Sad to see you leave VMware. On the other hand I’m pretty sure you’ll be an authority in whatever new environment you decide to work in.
    Your SDK book was, and is, an inspiration and great source of information for me.
    It was nice talking to you on those occasions we met.
    Best of luck, and till we meet again,

5. Posted October 8, 2011 at 4:07 am | Permalink

Hi Steve
    I wish you the best in your new endeavors!
    You are a super-smart guy that so frequently distinguishes yourself. I am sure that you will excel no matter what you do.
    Keep in touch and it would be great to see you again!
    All the best,

6. Posted October 8, 2011 at 6:00 pm | Permalink

Wow – sad news but best of luck!

7. Posted October 8, 2011 at 6:00 pm | Permalink

Good luck in your journey Steve. In addition to your incredible talent, your willingness to both help others and disseminate knowledge sets you apart from most. I look forward to working together again in the future, as I am sure our paths will continue to cross.

8. Posted October 8, 2011 at 6:06 pm | Permalink

All the best, thanks for all the great info in the past and I am sure we will be hearing from you again in near future (still a small world and industry 😉 . Take some well deserved rest and till we meet again.

9. Posted October 10, 2011 at 5:22 am | Permalink

All the very best for your career.

Your blogs are very information and really helped me a lot to understand Cloud Computing jargon, latest happenings.

Just letting you know my observation.. In disclaimer it still says “I work for VMware..” Reword it appropriately to avoid any trouble :-)

Thanks for taking out time and posting useful stuff for cloud community.

10. Posted October 10, 2011 at 10:37 am | Permalink

Thanks a lot Mikhail! Hope to meet you in person in the future!

11. Posted October 10, 2011 at 10:39 am | Permalink

Thanks Joerg! I saw your blog article and thanks for that! I am sure that we will get chance to chat again some time. Keep in touch!

12. Posted October 10, 2011 at 10:42 am | Permalink

Thanks Duncan, I think we will meet again for sure. When you come to the valley, just drop me a line for a lunch/dinner/coffee depending on your schedule. Really enjoyed our chats before and definitely would like to have more such thought provoking discussions.

13. Posted October 10, 2011 at 11:00 am | Permalink

Hi Luc, I am glad you like my book. I should have asked you to comment on Amazon. :-) Due to our common interests in SDK/APIs, I really enjoy reading your blog, especially the nicely written scripts. I have been thinking that we should port them to Java some day, or simple invite you to code in Java. Which way do you prefer? :-)

14. Posted October 10, 2011 at 11:04 am | Permalink

Thanks David, I will for sure try my best – it’s part of my DNA :-). We should definitely keep in touch. I am sure we will see each other again.

15. Posted October 10, 2011 at 11:05 am | Permalink

Thanks Jason, sorry that we missed the opportunity to meet in Vegas this year. But let’s try next time.

16. Posted October 10, 2011 at 11:08 am | Permalink

Thanks a lot Wade, I am sure we will cross our paths again! When you come to the valley, drop me a line for a coffee/lunch/dinner depending your schedule.

17. Posted October 10, 2011 at 11:10 am | Permalink

Hi Edwin, it’s indeed a small world! I will continue to share my thougthts on my blog. Hope to meet you some day.

18. Posted October 10, 2011 at 11:13 am | Permalink

Good catch Leela! I just made the changes and I hope I didn’t miss anything. Please let me know otherwise.
    I am glad you like my blog. Please feel free to comment and let me know your takes and suggestions on various topics.

19. Jay Cai
    Posted October 10, 2011 at 11:02 pm | Permalink

I know it must be tough to make this decision, but I’m sure you will be hugely successful for whatever you do next. Give me a call when you get a chance.

Best luck!

20. Peifeng
    Posted October 11, 2011 at 1:23 am | Permalink

Hope to see you again in a soccer field somewhere someday. I’ll be visiting your site often.

21. Posted October 13, 2011 at 2:56 pm | Permalink

Wishing you a very best of luck for your next endeavour. I have been closely following your blog right from its nascent stages. Its very rare to find ‘Connected’ Software Architects these days. You have been my inspiration for working towards achieving my goal of becoming a Software Architect. Hope you will continue to enlighten us in the days to come as well.

22. Posted October 14, 2011 at 7:37 pm | Permalink

Thanks Jay! You are absolutely right. I will call you soon. Thanks!

23. Posted October 14, 2011 at 7:42 pm | Permalink

Thanks Peifeng,
    I really enjoyed playing soccer with many of our colleagues. I will for sure visit VMware office in the future, and hopefully catch a good time to join you for a game!

24. Posted October 14, 2011 at 7:44 pm | Permalink

Thanks a lot Prasanna,
    I am glad you like my blog from its very beginning. It’s very encouraging to me. I will try my best to stay “connnected.” Please feel free to share your thoughts here.

3 Trackbacks

• By ApiWiz has left the building… on October 8, 2011 at 7:59 am

[…] (typeof(addthis_share) == "undefined"){ addthis_share = [];}In his Blog post “Moving on…” Steve Jin (@sjin2008), vSphere API Wizard, author of THE book about vSphere API, creator of the […]

• By My Next Adventure | on October 20, 2011 at 1:46 am

[…] leaving VMware and taking a short break at home last week, I am excited to be part of VCE solution engineering […]

• […] hearing about my leaving VMware, quite a few members in the community sent me emails or tweets asking about the future of the API. […]