Announcing vSphere Java API 2.1 GA Release

Right after vSphere 4.1 released, VI Java API 2.1 beta supporting vSphere 4.1 was released on July 15. After 40 days, I am pleased to announce GA of the 2.1 release. Many thanks to all vijava community memembers who helped to try 2.1 beta and give feedbacks.

The 2.1 beta is pretty good in terms of quality. I got several emails reporting greeen. I did get several bugs, some of which are carry-overs that should have been fixed in previous releases. Check the end of this blog for a list of bug fixes.

Lost VMs or Containers? Too Many Consoles? Too Slow GUI? Time to learn how to "Google" and manage your VMware and clouds in a fast and secure HTML5 App.

During the beta period, I started a poweredby page which now features 10 companies/products which use vijava API. If you would like your organizations/products included, please let me know.

Enough being said, are you ready to give 2.1 a try? Please feel to download it here. Even you are new to this API, 5 minutes is good enough to have your first HelloVSphere running with this tutorial.

Bug Fixes
3049871 Missing SetPublicKey in ExtensionManager
3040909 getProfile in HostProfilesManager throws a classcastexceptio
3042149 match version in SessionManager.cloneSession() method
3042167 xml characters not escaped (partial fix with password which is more likely to contain special chars)

This entry was posted in vSphere API and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted August 26, 2010 at 3:47 am | Permalink

Steve , that’s awesome news.
    I’ve got another one question – is there any ability to take screenshot from VM console by means of native API or your library???
    We’re developing large distributed testing framework, so screenshots from the consoles could be extremely usefull.

2. Posted August 26, 2010 at 9:58 am | Permalink

Thanks Nikita,

You want to take a look at the createScreenshot_Task() method defined in VirtualMachine type.

BTW, I have created a poweredby page (http://vijava.sf.net/poweredby.php) featuring 10 companies/products. Do you want your testing framework listed there? Let me know.

3. Posted August 26, 2010 at 1:59 pm | Permalink

Thanks Steeve, there is no need to advertise ouк framework, it’s very speical product, possibly in further we will integrate it with Vmware vCenter Lab Manager and then it will be whole product.
    Possibly I can help you MAVENize youк awesome library, what is about it ????

4. Posted August 29, 2010 at 11:58 am | Permalink

Thanks for offering help Nikita! Let’s consider it for crescendo release.

-Steve

5. Posted September 1, 2010 at 6:19 am | Permalink

Steve, I’ve tried to take screenshot by means of this task – it works, but i still can’t find the way to retrieve it from ESX host.
    In the Task returned by CreateScreenshot_Task() result field contains following

/vmfs/volumes/4acb13ba-589015d6-9aeb-001a6496f275/AT-WindowsXP-SP3/AT-Manager-screenshot-2.png

Is therу any way to retrieve it using API?

(Also i’ve tried to send HTTPs request to ESX(https://esxhost/screen?id=VmName) but there was not any response)

6. Posted September 3, 2010 at 10:16 am | Permalink

Hi Nikita,

You can try HTTP access to download the png file.

7. Abhinav
    Posted September 6, 2010 at 8:18 am | Permalink

Nikita – Could you get it working?

8. Posted September 11, 2010 at 12:41 am | Permalink
  9. Amaresh
    Posted October 25, 2010 at 10:13 am | Permalink

I had VCenter server 4.0 on my VM and registred my plug-in. I used to get some pre-defined set of request parameters locale,serviceUrl,moref,sessionId and serverGuid, And I refer this parameter to get the username/pwd for authentication.

But with 4.1 version of VCenter server, sessionId parameter is missing and it fails to authenticate.

Any help/fix on this? Is there any work-around for this.

Thanks in advance.

10. Posted October 25, 2010 at 8:19 pm | Permalink

Check out this thread at VMware forum: http://communities.vmware.com/thread/278342. Good luck!