vCloud API Spec 0.9: What’s New?
Some of you may have noticed that VMware released vCloud API Spec version 0.9 last week. The 9 page document describes all the functions and corresponding REST syntax of version 0.9. Better than I had expected, it highlighted changes from version 0.8. So if you have read previous version, you can just scan for the changes with keywords: CHANGED, NEW, REMOVED.
The vCloud API includes the following categories of functions.
Time to learn how to "Google" and manage your VMware and clouds in a fast and secureHTML5 App
- Inventory Listing: lists the entities like org, vDC, vApp, etc., in the inventory.
- Catalog Management: retrieve, add, remove catalog items.
- Upload, Download, and Provisioning: quite some new features related to template management.
- vApp Configuration: mostly new with much finer control over configuration.
- vApp Operations: power on, off, ect.
- Miscellaneous Operations: login, version, task management.
- Cloud Administration
- Org Administration
- vDC Administration
- Catalog Administration
- User Administration
- Group Administration
- Role Administration
In most categories, you will find so called CRUD ( Create, Read, Update, Delete) operations. In fact, it’s easier to understand the API if you think of the REST API in the SQL way: the resouce is a table, the CRUD operations are like INSERT, SELECT, UPDATE, DELETE statements.
The API spec itself is not enough for you to get started with programming. You want to read the vCloud API Programming Guide v0.9. The schema files of version 0.9 are however not there yet.
If you have read my blog from the beginning, you may still remember a blog I wrote to make the REST into Object Oriented. In so doing, we can easily map the REST like APIs and programming interfaces in a mechanical way.